MEET OUR LAWYERS
Gary is a senior litigation lawyer at Robertson Stromberg LLP. With extensive experience in a broad range of areas of law, Gary’s practice emphasis is in corporate and commercial litigation, insurance law, professional negligence, product liability, construction litigation and general negligence law.
He has defended lawyers and other professionals in numerous professional negligence claims and has been retained by the Law Society of Saskatchewan to prosecute disciplinary complaints on its behalf.
Gary has been identified by Lexpert as a leading Saskatchewan lawyer in the areas of corporate commercial litigation and commercial insurance and by Benchmark Canada as a “Litigation Star” in class actions, commercial litigation and insurance.
Gary is a graduate of the University of Saskatchewan. He received both a Bachelor of Arts degree and a Bachelor of Laws degree in 1971. He was called to the Saskatchewan Bar in 1972.
Throughout his career, Gary has taken an active interest in the development of the legal profession in Canada. His activities, past and present, include the following:
- President, Saskatchewan Branch of the Canadian Bar Association. 1988-1989
- Member, National Executive Committee, Canadian Bar Association. 1989-1990
- Member, Scholarships and Awards Committee, Canadian Bar Association. 1990-1992
- Member, Federal Judicial Advisory Committee. 1991-1993
- Lecturer, Saskatchewan Bar admission course on trial advocacy. 1988-2004
- Faculty member, Saskatchewan Trial Advocacy Workshop. 1999
- Presenter at numerous continuing legal education programs on both procedural and substantive law issues.
- Invited member of the Supreme Court Advocacy Institute, a program which offers free advocacy advice to Counsel appearing before the Supreme Court of Canada. The Institute offers the opportunity to all counsel appearing before the Court to appear before a panel of two or three senior appellate counsel to moot their argument in advance of the hearing. 2015-present
Matters of Importance to the Public and to the Profession
- Lead Counsel conducting an independent investigation into the purchase, installation and failure of the $90 million Saskatchewan Power Corporation smart meter program in 2013-2014.
- Lead Counsel in the Supreme Court of Canada in Housen v. Nikolaisen, the authoritative pronouncement of the Supreme Court on the standard of appellate review, a case which has been cited as a precedent in more than 5,000 cases since being pronounced in 2002.
- Counsel to the Law Society of Saskatchewan before the Court of Appeal in the leading case in Saskatchewan, and one of the leading cases in Canada, dealing with the powers of provincial law societies to access solicitor-client materials in the course of the investigation of professional complaints.
- Counsel to the Battlefords Health District during the public inquiry into the outbreak of Cryptosporidium in the North Battleford water supply.
Gary has a solid record of successful cases before all levels of provincial and federal courts. Some notable files:
- Counsel for a supplier of materials for the construction of a water pipeline. The case against the supplier was discontinued, upon payment of a nominal amount, based upon nuisance value, following 45 days of trial, without the case being left with the Judge for decision.
- Lead Counsel for the Plaintiff, Paul Housen, who became a quadriplegic following an accident on a rural road, obtaining judgment against a municipality for failure to install a sign warning of a curve in the road. The municipality successfully appealed the decision to the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal; however, the Supreme Court of Canada restored the trial decision. Housen is now cited by the Courts of Appeal in all provinces in Canada as the authoritative pronouncement of the Supreme Court on the standard of appellate review with respect to a trial judge’s finding of fact. The argument before the Supreme Court was broadcast Canada-wide on CPAC television on two separate occasions.
- Counsel for the Battlefords District Health Board, successfully defending a class action lawsuit arising out of the presence of Cryptosporidium in the drinking water distributed to the residents of the City of North Battleford, an issue which received national attention. The action was discontinued, with no payment from the Health Board having been made.
- Saskatchewan counsel for a director of Hollinger International Inc. in a shareholder class-action lawsuit involving allegations of a breach of fiduciary duty.
- Counsel for the Defendant, an aviation safety auditor with offices in New York and in Moscow, involving the fatal crash of a helicopter into the side of a mountain in the Republic of Kyrgyzstan. The helicopter was carrying 15 people, including 9 residents of Saskatchewan, from the site of a gold mine. This case was settled following a pre-trial settlement conference.
- Saskatchewan counsel for Microcell, prior to its purchase by Rogers Communications Inc., in a class action brought on behalf of customers of various telecommunication companies involving allegations of misrepresentation with respect to their billing practices.
- Saskatchewan Counsel for a major international tobacco manufacturer in health care cost recovery litigation.
- Counsel for an engineering design firm in litigation arising out of the catastrophic underground flooding of one of the world’s largest uranium mines at Cigar Lake, Saskatchewan.
- Counsel for a party sustaining loss of materials and equipment by reason of a catastrophic explosion at Saskatchewan’s largest oil refinery.
Direct: (306) 933-1307
Main: (306) 652-7575
Fax: (306) 652-2445
Please do not send us any confidential information in your email. Your email is not protected by lawyer/client confidentiality, nor is a lawyer/client relationship established by our receipt of this communication. Before we can discuss your matter, we must ensure that we do not have a conflict of interest.
Related News and Articles
August 21, 2018 -- Robertson Stromberg LLP is pleased to announce that 12 lawyers have been included in the 2019 Edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada. Since it was first published in 1983, Best Lawyers™ has become universally regarded as the definitive guide to legal...read more