MEET OUR LAWYERS
Chris Donald focuses his practice in corporate and commercial law, including mergers and acquisitions (large and small businesses), corporate finance, commercial lending, commercial real estate, legal due diligence, limited partnerships, non-profit organizations, corporate governance and municipal law.
He advises clients in the real estate, energy (including on windmill projects) and agri-business sectors.
Chris is one of the firm’s transactional lawyers, bringing in the expertise of other lawyers in the firm and when necessary outside expert advice, in order to efficiently complete transactions. He is often called upon to act as Saskatchewan counsel in multi-jurisdictional transactions.
Chris’ representative work includes:
- Saskatchewan counsel for electrical power producer that constructed two gas-powered generation plants
- Frequently consulted on land issues for wind energy projects
- Acted for vendor on sale of multiple franchised restaurants throughout Western Canada
- Acted for purchasers of large corporate farming operations
- Acted for owner of grain terminal in sale of its shares to former CWB
- Represented government organization in outsourcing its electronic land title system to an external service provider
- Represented local water utility board that constructed water distribution system to supply water to rural municipalities
Chris is one of Robertson Stromberg LLP’s managing partners. In 2016, he was honoured with the Queen’s Counsel designation.
Before joining Robertson Stromberg LLP in 2000, Chris was an Assistant Professor of Law at the University of Saskatchewan’s College of Law. Prior to that, Chris practiced corporate-commercial litigation in Toronto. He obtained his Articles of Clerkship at Lang Michener (now part of McMillan LLP) in Toronto and was called to the Ontario Bar in 1990.
Chris is listed as a repeatedly recommended Leading Lawyer in the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory. He is also repeatedly recognized by Best Lawyers®. He was recently recognized by Chambers & Partners Canada.
Chris received his Bachelor of Laws at Osgoode Hall Law School in 1988 and completed his Master of Laws at the University of Toronto in 1997.
He also holds a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) from the University of Victoria and a Master of Arts in Economics from the University of Western Ontario.
Chris remains committed to teaching. Since 2015, he has been a sessional lecturer at the College of Law University of Saskatchewan conducting a seminar course in Law & Economics. He was also a member of the Law Society of Saskatchewan Advisory Committee on Continuing Legal Education from 2014- 2017.
Chris also stays involved by attending conferences, contributing papers and sharing presentations, including:
- “Ethical Issues when Representing Corporations”, Canadian Bar Association (Saskatchewan Branch) Business Law North, September 24, 2014 and Midwinter Meetings, February 6, 2015.
- “Comments on The Trust and Loan Corporations Act, 1997″, Law Society of Saskatchewan Corporate/Commercial Seminar, June 5, 2013 (Regina, SK) and June 6, 2013 (Saskatoon, SK).
- “Ethical Issues in Contract Drafting”, Law Society of Saskatchewan Corporate/Commercial Seminar, June 13, 2012 (Saskatoon, SK) and June 14, 2012 (Regina, SK).
- Presentation on Partnerships, Limited Partnerships, and Limited Liability Partnerships, Insight Conferences on Drafting Major Agreements, May 2010 (Winnipeg, MB) and December 2008 (Regina, SK).
- Chair, Canadian Bar Association (Saskatchewan Branch) Mid-Winter Meetings 2003 (Saskatoon, SK)
Chris is currently a member of the Canadian Bar Association. In 2003, he served as the Chair of the CBA Saskatchewan Branch’s Mid-Winter Meetings in Saskatoon.
He also served as a facilitator for the Corporate/Commercial Section of the SKLESI/CPLED Course from 2006-2009. Chris was a founding member of the St. Thomas More Lawyers’ Guild of Saskatoon Inc., as well as its initial president. He currently sits on the Guild’s board.
Chris also contributes to academic journals. A selection of his published articles follows:
- “Limited Liability and the “Control” Liability of Limited Partners” (2007), 44 Canadian Business Law Journal 398.
- “The Assignment of Federal Crown Debts: The Constitutional Limits on the Operation of s. 67 of the Financial Administration Act” (2005), 21 Banking and Finance Law Review 1. (Lead author, jointly with Melvin Gerspacher and Heather Funk)
- “Civil Remedies for Breach of Continuous Disclosure Obligations under the Securities Act” (2000), 45 McGill Law Journal 609.
- “A Critique of Arguments in Favour of Mandatory Disclosure” (1999), 62 Saskatchewan Law Review 85.
Chris acts as a director and the president of the Catholic Health Association of Saskatchewan. He is also the past-Grand Knight with Knights of Columbus Council #11888, having served as a director of the Knights’ charitable foundation in the past. His past involvement also includes being the Chair of Parish Pastoral Council for Our Lady of Lourdes Church, as well as a member of Corporation at St. Thomas More College.
He also formerly served as a director for both CHEP Good Food and Global Gathering Place.
Swimming is another avenue for Chris’ community involvement. Currently he is a member University of Saskatchewan Masters Swim Club and has served as a director of the Saskatoon Lasers Swim Club Inc.
Direct: (306) 933-1366
Main: (306) 652-7575
Fax: (306) 652-2445
Please do not send us any confidential information in your email. Your email is not protected by lawyer/client confidentiality, nor is a lawyer/client relationship established by our receipt of this communication. Before we can discuss your matter, we must ensure that we do not have a conflict of interest.
Related News and Articles
Best Lawyers™ recognizes extraordinary lawyers in private practice through an exhaustive peer-review process. Today, Best Lawyers™, published the 14th Edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada and we are pleased to announce that twelve lawyers from the firm have been...read more
Robertson Stromberg is pleased to announce that Christopher Donald, Melvin Gerspacher, Leslie Prosser, Scott Waters, and Gary Young have all been listed as leading practitioners in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for 2019, a guide based on extensive peer surveys...read more
Robertson Stromberg has been ranked as a leading firm by Chambers and Partners. The 2019 Chambers Canada lists Robertson Stromberg in the Corporate/Commercial - Saskatchewan category. Also awarded Leading Lawyer rankings are Christopher Donald, Q.C. and Leslie...read more
August 21, 2018 -- Robertson Stromberg LLP is pleased to announce that 12 lawyers have been included in the 2019 Edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada. Since it was first published in 1983, Best Lawyers™ has become universally regarded as the definitive guide to legal...read more