MEET OUR LAWYERS
James D. Steele
James Steele’s practice focuses on civil litigation in all areas of law, with a focus on:
- Estate litigation, including will challenges (undue influence or incapacity), removal of executors, challenging acts by powers of attorney, demands for a proper accounting, and breach of trust claims;
- Insurance law, including insurance coverage disputes, defence and subrogation actions, as well as commercial disputes of all kinds;
- Municipal law, including bylaw prosecution, dangerous animal proceedings, tax enforcement, planning appeals, and litigating claims involving municipalities.
James appears before all levels of Saskatchewan courts.
Prior to studying law, James earned a Bachelor of Arts in History from the University of Saskatchewan (U of S), graduating with Great Distinction. While earning his Juris Doctorate of Law at the U of S, James was awarded the P.E. Mackenzie Prize for the highest academic standing in the Evidence course and served as student editor of the Saskatchewan Law Review.
- James Steele, “Emmett Hall: a Life” (2015) 30.1 CBA BarNotes 16
- James Steele, “Heritage Capital Corp v Equitable Trust: Municipal compensation payments will not run with the Land” The Court.ca (9 October 2016)
- James Steele, “Enforcement of Municipal Bylaws: A Primer” (2016) 31.1 CBA BarNotes 17
- James Steele, “The Law and Practise of Out-of-Court Evidence” (2016) The Advocate 8
- James Steele, “Rectifying Wills: A Litigator’s Guide” (December 2017) The Advocate 8
- James Steele, “Holding Taxpayers at Ransom” (August 2019) 86.7 Canadian Underwriter 79
- James Steele, “The Partisan: The Life of William Rehnquist by John A. Jenkins” 2014 Sask. L. Rev. 77(2)
- James Steele, “The ‘Duty to Defend’ Exception: Solicitor-Client Costs and Liability Coverage Proceedings“, Issues in Focus in Craig Brown & Thomas Donnelly, Insurance Law in Canada, loose-leaf (Toronto: Thomson Reuters, 2016)
- James Steele, “Statutory Forebears: Legislative Evolution as a Means of Statutory Interpretation” (2018) 39:3 Stat.L.R. 303
- James Steele, “Deterrence not Damages: The Punitive Rationale for Solicitor-Client Costs” (2018) 36 Can J Ins L 164
- James, Steele, “Resulting Trusts over Torrens Land“, Issues in Focus in Brian A Schnurr, Estate Litigation, 2d ed., vol. 1 (Toronto: Thomson Reuters, 2017).
- Co-presentation with M. Kim Anderson, Q.C., for the Saskatchewan Regional Parks Association Seminar, April 5, 2019 (effective enforcement of bylaws and leases by Regional Parks)
- Co-presentation with M. Kim Anderson, Q.C., for the Saskatchewan Regional Parks Association Fall Seminar, October 21, 2016 (Campsite leases);
- Co-presentation with M. Kim Anderson, Q.C., for the Saskatchewan Regional Parks Association Fall Seminar, April 7, 2017 (Eviction of tenants and other lease issues);
- Co-presentation with Sean Sinclair, before the Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association, April 20, 2017 (Challenging of Wills);
- Co-presentation with Sean Sinclair, before the CBA Wills, Estates and Elder law Section, September, 2017 (Estate Litigation);
- Co-presentation with Curtis Onishenko, to the 2019 CBA Mid-winter meeting (Estate Litigation);
- Presentation to the Saskatoon Estate Planning Council, March 12, 2019 (Litigation Involving Power of Attorneys)
- James’s life is balanced with his passion for music. James is extensively involved in fiddle music throughout Saskatchewan, performing regularly. He is a former Canadian Grand Master Fiddle Champion, a six-time Grand North American Champion, and nine-time Saskatchewan Champion. James is also a member of the Board of Directors for the John Arcand Fiddle Fest.
- James is also on the board of editors of the Canadian Bar Association, Saskatchewan Branch publication BarNotes.
- James is a regular volunteer at pro bono Wills and Estates sessions held at the Saskatoon Public Library.
Direct: (306) 933-1338
Main: (306) 652-7575
Fax: (306) 652-2445
Related News and Articles
James Steele's article on the latest target of data bank robbers - Canadian municipalities - appears in the August 2019 issue of Canadian Underwriter. James speaks anecdotally of Canadian municipalities who have been hijacked by cyber criminals and advises municipal...read more
A recent British Columbia Court of Appeal decision (West Van Holdings Ltd. v. Economical Mutual Insurance Company) cited an article written by associate lawyer James Steele. "Deterrence not damages: the punitive rationale for solicitor-client costs" was published in...read more
James Steele was the featured speaker at a recent meeting of the Saskatoon Estate Council. James' presentation focused on Powers of Attorney, briefing the group on particular court decisions involving issues such as fiduciary duty, capacity concerns, and duty to...read more
On March 5, James Steele and Ben Parsonson volunteered their time to address wills and estates issues with the residents of the Palisades Retirement Residence. Together they spoke on the importance of having a Will, or Power of Attorney, or health care directive as...read more
How to Avoid Challenges to your Will by James Steele Robertson Stromberg LLP, Saskatoon Having a Will is meant to provide comfort, and to make sure your family gets their inheritance when you pass on. Yet all too often Wills are challenged in court. This can...read more
The Saskatoon Express newspaper has published an article by James Steele that offers practical advice on preparing wills. He advises that with the right planning and communication up front, court battles over wills can be avoided. Read James's article in the January...read more
Anyone with Wills & Estates questions is invited to a series of free drop in clinics at the Frances Morrison Central Branch of Saskatoon Public Library. The evening clinics will run from 6:30-8:30 on: Thursday, February 14 Thursday, February 28 Thursday, March...read more
Struggling with a complex tax enforcement issue? Want to avoid taking a property? The Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Association (SUMA) is offering the webinar How to Make Tax Collection Less Taxing. Robertson Stromberg's Kim Anderson, QC, and James Steele will...read more
This article offers an overview of the 2018 Saskatchewan decision in Carlson v. Carlson Estate, 2018 SKQB 196. Carlson reminds us of the importance of preserving evidence of just how “voluntary” a will is. If, in contrast, a particular beneficiary of the will is seen...read more
This article offers an overview of the 2018 Saskatchewan decision in Klassen v. Estate of John Arnold Wiers, 2018 SKQB 32, 288 A.C.W.S. (3d) 598. Klassen was a decision which turned on a careful assembling of the evidence. While there was no single piece of magic...read more
This article offers an overview of the 2018 Saskatchewan Court of Appeal decision in Karpinski v. Zookewich Estate, 2018 SKCA 56. Karpinski offers helpful reminders to parties who wish to challenge a Will based on a concern that the testator was subjected to undue...read more
This articles offers an overview of the 2018 Court of Appeal decision in Olson v. Skarsgard Estate, 2018 SKCA 64. Olson offers an important reminder to parties involved in estate litigation. Namely, one should always check to make sure you have the legal “standing” to...read more