MEET OUR LAWYERS
Sean M. Sinclair
Sean is a partner with Robertson Stromberg LLP. Sean has experience in most areas of civil litigation but focuses on family law, professional regulation, estate litigation and media law.
Sean represents several national and local media companies, professional regulators, individuals involved in family property disputes and individuals involved in estate litigation. He has experience before all courts in Saskatchewan, as well as in appearing before administrative tribunals.
A University of Saskatchewan graduate, Sean received his Bachelor of Laws degree in 2003. He was called to both the Saskatchewan and Alberta Bars in 2004.
Sean has been named a Benchmark Litigation future star. He is a frequent presenter at legal conferences in a variety of practice areas. He has published numerous articles about family law, ethics, estate litigation and media law.
Sean is a bencher of the Law Society of Saskatchewan. In that role, Sean has authored numerous decisions and has been the chair for the Admissions and Education Committee as well as the Library Committee. Sean is also a past governor of the Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Associate and the former legislative liaison for the Family Law North subsection of the CBA. Sean is currently on the Board of the Canadian Media Lawyers Association.
- Presentation on “Openness of Administrative Tribunals” at Canadian Media Lawyers Association Annual Conference (2018)
- Presentation to STLA’s Spousal Support Family Law Conference (2017)
- CBA Presentation to Wills, Estates and Elder Law subsection on Estate Litigation Issues (2017)
- STLA Co-Presentation on Estate Litigation (2017)
- CBA Presentation on “Privacy and the Media” (2017)
- Canadian Media Lawyers Association Presentations on Victims Bills of Rights Act, Unpublishing and Criminal Law Issues Involving the Media (2016)
- Presentation for Legal Aid Saskatchewan regarding ethical issues in drafting and negotiating agreements (2016)
- Law Society of Saskatchewan Presentation and Paper on “Ethical Issues in Drafting and Negotiating Agreements” (2015)
- CBA Presentation on Accrual versus Cash Methods of Accounting (2015)
- CBA Presentation on Valuations of Small Businesses (2015)
- CBA Presentation on “Beneficiary Designations: Insurance, Pensions, RRSPs & Wills – Perspectives and Impacts” (2015)
- Law Society of Saskatchewan Presentation and Paper on Privacy and the Media (2015)
- STLA Presentation and Paper entitled “The Basics of Estate Litigation” (2014)
- Law Society of Saskatchewan Presentation and Paper on “Tips, Tricks and Traps in Drafting Evidence for Family Law Proceedings” (2013)
- STLA Presentation on Motions Skills Training for Junior Lawyers (2013)
- Co-Author of Article for Construction Specifications Canada entitled “Performance Bonuses – Do You Need to Pay?” (2013)
- Article for STLA’s “The Advocate” entitled “Responsible Communication in Saskatchewan” (2013)
- Article for Construction Specifications Canada on “Terminating an Employee” (2012)
- Law Society of Saskatchewan Presentation and Paper entitled “Now That is a Lot of Kraft Dinner: Child Support on Incomes over $150,000 per year” (2011)
- STLA Article for “The Advocate” entitled “How Much is Too Much?: Section 4 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines” (2011)
- CBA Presentation on Exclusive Possession of the Family Home and Occupation Rent (2009)
- Learning Group Facilitator and Evaluator for Law Society of Saskatchewan (Several Years)
- Several Presentations to Media Organizations in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan regarding media law issues
- CTV v Stonne (2016 SKQB 300). In this September 13, 2016 decision from the Court of Queen’s Bench, the Honourable Justice Acton quashed a decision granting a publication ban in a criminal matter. Justice Acton considered some jurisdictional issues and reiterated the legal tests that need to be applied to consider publication ban requests. Ultimately, the position of the media organizations, CTV, and the Saskatoon StarPhoenix represented by Sean Sinclair, was successful and the publication ban was removed.
Direct: (306) 933-1367
Main: (306) 652-7575
Fax: (306) 652-2445
Related News and Articles
Benchmark Litigation Canada has published its guide to the leading litigation teams in the country. The guide's results are the culmination of a four-month research period during which time extensive interviews are conducted with litigators and their clients. The...read more
The Law Society of Saskatchewan recently offered its membership an intensive hands-on workshop on developing exceptional family law Chambers advocacy skills. The twenty-four participants of the workshop were assigned exercises designed to develop their skills in oral...read more
CTV Saskatoon asked Sean Sinclair to add an expert's view to a local news story on November 13th. In an interview on CTV News at 6:00, Sean clarified privacy and defamation laws as they related to the story.read more
The Canadian Media Lawyers Association will hold their annual meeting on November 2, 2018 in Toronto. Representing our part of the country, Sean Sinclair will present on the openness of administrative tribunals during the cross country check-up portion of the...read more
Sean Sinclair recently presented at the Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association's "Spousal Support Family Law Conference" on May 11, 2018. His accompanying paper can be read here.read more
Sean Sinclair's paper presented at STLA's "Spousal Support Family Law Conference" on May 11, 2018. Spousal supportread more